Monday, December 31, 2007

A word on Gor


Free Women about Town, originally uploaded by Torment Tea.

I have found over the years that when you admit you play in Gorean worlds online that people think you are either 1) totally kinky which causes them to try to get your interests or 2) totally horrible which causes them to proceed to tell you how awful you are.

Let me tell you about Gor in SL. I read the 26 books of John Norman years ago but being a rather strong woman thought they were horrid and wondered later why I even bothered to read all of them when I thought that. I ditched them at the local Goodwill back then.

I had already been into Role Playing games since the early 1970s (Yeah I'm dating myself) so it was natural for me to enjoy playing a character in diverse worlds. When I came into SL I explored a lot of the what was out there two years ago. Many were so hard to get into and so complicated to understand. I think the Gorean RPs drew me into them with the beautiful and fascinating builds of the cities. I worked in slow and built up till I was working hard with the Scribes and building up the Blue Caste. I had two Companions (husband's for those of you unfamiliar with Gorean terms) this current/last one is the most awsome man in the virtual and real worlds. But I digress...

Gor was fun. It was beautiful and frustrating and consumed a lot of my time online for a couple years. I learned a lot, mostly about myself. Now you are probably wondering why if I enjoyed it so much I am considering leaving it. Well it's because there is too much of it now. May sound weird but at this time there are well over 100 Gorean cities in SL. What this means is that there are not enough people to live and work in those many cities. So they tend to be sparsely populated. Also unlike many other RPs in SL they tend to interact a lot and there is a lot of distention about being true to the books or not and everyone, which is actually fairly true to Gorean nature is happier creating their own thing they can be the boss of rather than helping others make a world where everyone can play. True Gorean's in that aspect, you could say.

I am sure I will visit. My Companion and I have an official citizenship in an established city in case we want to come in and play at times. I thank my dear friend Dark for that ability. But it's time to move on.

Those of us who currently live in Blood Stone Isle are rather excited about the new world to come.

If you'd like to see more of Gor you can in my snapzilla pictures and some of my flickr sets.

No comments: